National

Dismissing Petition, SC Retains Ban On Sale Of Firecrackers In Delhi-NCR

News World India | 0
2990
| } October 13 , 2017 , 13:29 IST

The Supreme Court has maintained its earlier directive issued on October 9, banning the sale of firecrackers in the Delhi-NCR area, dismissing a petition that had been filed in the apex court to allow the firecrackers sale.

Refusing to modify its earlier order, the apex court said, "We will ascertain after Diwali if there has been a difference in pollution levels."

In a bid to reduce the toxic levels of pollution in the Delhi NCR region, the Supreme Court had banned the sale of firecrackers until November 1, thereby bypassing Diwali on October 19 which is when the sale and use of firecrackers peaks.

ALSO READ: Forget About The Debate Over Diwali Firecrackers Ban, Do You Know Where They Came From?

The petition had been filed by a traders' group, which cited the major losses the firecrackers' traders would face as a result of the ban. Businessmen claimed that already they faced difficulties with the demonetisation and implementation of the Goods and Services Tax but banning sale would cause them further damage. The traders' said that they had already procured the firecrackers, and if the ban was maintained, they would sustain heavy losses.

On September 12, the apex court had announced that firecrackers would not be banned but the traders could sell only 50 percent of the amount they had sold in the previous year, in an attempt to gradually phase out firecrackers.  

 As a result of the September ruling, the traders stocked for the coming Diwali season accordingly.