[caption id="attachment_70096" align="aligncenter" width="745"]
Military personnel inspect the wreckage of an Air Force cargo plane that crashed in Medan, North Sumatra, Indonesia, Tuesday, June 30, 2015. An Indonesian air force Hercules C-130 plane with 12 crew aboard has crashed into a residential neighborhood in the country's third-largest city Medan. (AP Photo/Dedy Zulkifli)[/caption]
The death toll from the crash of an air force transport plane in the Indonesian city of Medan jumped to more than 140 on Wednesday, indicating a growing list of victims from the neighbourhood where the plane went down.
North Sumatra police major A. Tarigan told reporters that 141 bodies have been recovered from the rubble of a residential neighborhood where the plane crashed shortly after takeoff on Tuesday.
The air force says there were 122 people on the plane including military personnel and their families.
The crash of the C-130 Hercules, which had been in service since 1964, occurred only two minutes after it took off from Soewondo air force base in Medan. It plowed into a building that local media said contained shops and homes.
Witnesses said it was shooting flames and smoke before crashing.
ALSO READ: 116 Feared Dead As Indonesian Military Cargo Plane Crashes In Medan
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday condoled the loss of lives in an air crash in Indonesia
and said his thoughts are with the families of the deceased.
Indonesia has a patchy aviation safety record. Between 2007 and 2009, the European Union barred Indonesian airlines from flying to Europe because of safety concerns. The country’s most recent civilian airline disaster was in December, when an AirAsia jet with 162 people on board crashed into the Java Sea en route from Surabaya to Singapore. There have been five fatal crashes involving air force planes since 2008, according to the Aviation Safety Network, which tracks aviation disasters.